Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Nostalgic View of Senseny Road School










SENSENY ROAD SCHOOL has been a landmark in Frederick County for many years. This year it will change from it's position as the Red Bud district's elementary school to the new site of the Northwestern Regional Programs (NREP). I was a teacher at NREP for 15 years, and a parent of children and step-children at Senseny Road School for 25 years.

My history with Senseny Road School is unique, and gives me an insight to the assets and issues of this community. As a candidate for the Red Bud seat on the Frederick County School Board, I wanted to share some of my connections with Senseny Road.
  • We lived within a mile of Senseny Road School for 10 years.
  • While my children attended Senseny Road School, I was an active parent volunteer.
  • I was a substitute teacher at Senseny Road before returning to full-time teaching.
  • I was a Cub Scout Den Mother at Senseny Road for 4 years.
  • As FCEA President, I organized the Adopt a Highway program. Our "highway" was Senseny Road. For two years, I went out on Saturday mornings with family and co-workers to keep Senseny Road litter free.
  • For the past 20 years, I have lived a few miles from the school, but still travel Senseny Road every day. I have watched the changes to the building and community over the years.

I have been involved in the Senseny Road Community for over 30 years. I am proud of this heritage, and seek your vote on November 3 to elect me to be your next School Board Member from my home district - Red Bud.