Saturday, July 4, 2009

Welcome to the Friends of Peggy Clark!


Welcome to the Friends of Peggy Clark,
On June 8, 2009 (two days after my son's wedding), I announced my candidacy for the Red Bud Seat on the Frederick County School Board. I am very excited about this opportunity to serve the citizens of Frederick County.
On June 16, I made a formal announcement of my candidacy to the Frederick County School Board. Below are excerpts from my speech.
I'm Peggy Clark, Retired Frederick County Educator, and former President of The Frederick County Education Association, and I would like to announce my candidacy for the Red Bud Seat on the School Board. I come to you as a candidate to become a member of a Board that I have known and repected for many years.
I have been an educator all of my life. After my graduation from the University of Maryland, I taught 1st and 2nd grade in Oakland, Maryland. Then after a short stint as a secretary in Washington, DC, I came to Winchester to teach kindergarten.
I took off for a number of years to be a stay home Mom, but the call to teach was too strong, and I taught Preschool during my children's preschool years. I also was Educational Coordinator for the Migrant Head Start program for several years.
I returned to full time teaching in 1993 as an Early Childhood Special Educator in a position that I held for fifteen years. During those years, I became involved in the Education Association, serving as a Building Representative, Membership Chair, Vice President, and then President in my last two years of teaching.
My children attended Frederick County Schools from Kindergarten through graduation. They both went on to graduate from college, get great jobs, and marry. I know how good Frederick County Schools are, and have been involved in all facets of the school system for many years.
I believe I am uniquely qualified to serve on the School Board. My experience as a 30 year resident of the County, a parent of children who spent their entire school career in Frederick County, and an educator qualify me as an excellent candidate. I also have the recent background as the Education Association President where my duties included attending all school board meetings, meeting with the superintendent and others in the administration. I worked with employees at every level to ensure that Frederick County Schools were a wonderful place to teach and to learn.
I believe in Frederick County Schools, and I believe I will be a great asset on the School Board. I look forward to joining you after the November election.